Last week there were several announcements relating to Windows Mobile.
One of those announcements was the release of a new version of the operating system, version 6.5.
It really only brings two new features of any note.
1. An improved interface for touch screen devices.
2. An improved version of the IEMobile browser, which adds support for gestures.
It's not that big an announcement for a number of reasons:
- It was totally expected.
- It won't be on any devices that you can actually buy until then end of this year.
- It feels like some minor changes to keep it in the running until they can get the next version (7) out.
- It doesn't make me excited about it or particularly want to own a device that runs the OS. (Though I probably will in time.)
- There are better third party UIs available.
- Upgrades for existing devices are unlikely to be available.
Here's hoping for more from Windows Mobile 7 - Expect that announcement in February 2010.
Are you a Windows Phone, Nokia-X (Android) or Asha developer? If so, you could be getting rewards for the apps you build and the success they achieve by joining the DVLUP program.