1. More people using it
- More than before
- And they're using it for longer than before
- Globally more people access the internet from a 'mobile' than a 'PC'.
2. Bigger screens
- Have made mobile browsers easier to use
- Enable a better experience by allowing the viewing of more than just simple text.
3. Better browsers
- Can render as well as some desktop browsers
- Even with flash support
- Silverlight mobile coming (apparently)
4. Can get 95% of devices with a single output format
5. Cheaper & easier to do than probably think
- It's not as complex as having to develop WAP (anymore)
- Tooling makes it easier
6. Transcoders aren't good enough as don't consider context
- You can create a better experience if you target specifically to the mobile environment, rather than just rely on a machine trying to guess at what would be best.
7. Wide variety of tools to help you
8. Big companies thing it's important
- Eric Schmidt (Google) - "Mobile devices are the most important technology of all."
- Eric Schmidt (Google) - "Google's future depends on the next internet, on cellphones."
9. Provide new ways of interacting with existing users and opportunity to reach new ones
- New ways to build community
- New ways to build loyalty
- New ways to make money
10. You already do (or should) variations of your site(s) (for accessibility)
Are you a Windows Phone developer? If so, you could be getting rewards for the apps you build and the success they achieve by joining Nokia's DVLUP program.